Roof Contractors Near Me for Flashing Repair in Decatur IL
Popejoy Roofing contractors can provide you with a free inspection to see if your roof could benefit from flashing repair in Decatur IL. You may not realize what roof flashing is or why it is important. Flashing secures the areas of your roof that are most vulnerable to water damage, including slopes, valleys, and joints. Without adequate flashing, your roof will develop leaks. If that happens, your residential or commercial property gets exposed to water damage, mold, mildew, pest infestations, and reduced energy efficiency.
Our locally owned and operated roofing company uses only licensed, bonded, and insured roofers. That means our roofing experts receive the training and certification it takes to provide superior workmanship. That is why we guarantee our labor on roof installation or roof replacement for 10 years. If you experience any problems with our work, we will fix them for free. Contact us now to request a free inspection if you suspect you need flashing repair in Decatur IL. We are the roof contractors recommended by your friends and neighbors with 5-star customer reviews.
What Is Flashing?
Flashing is thin strips of metal, rubber, or plastic that protect any area of your roof with a joint or penetration. These areas are the most likely places for water to seep into your business or home. The most common materials for roof flashing include:
- Copper – This is one of the most expensive forms of flashing typically reserved for luxury new construction or historic buildings.
- Lead – Hard to access areas where flashing is difficult to maintain or replace often get this form of flashing.
- Sheet Metal – This is the most common form of flashing used today. It offers great performance and a more affordable solution than other metals.
- Rubber and Plastic – This is the cheapest kind of flashing initially. However, it wears out fast with exposure to the sun. Therefore, it will require more frequent repairs and faster replacement than other flashing materials.
What Areas of My Roof Need Flashing?
Our roofing experts recommend getting an inspection at least every 3 years to check whether you need flashing repair in Decatur IL. Here are the most common areas that require flashing:
- Joints – Any place on your roof where two slopes meet creates a joint. These areas require flashing to direct water away from your roof to the gutters. Otherwise, water will pool on your roof, degrade shingles, and leak to the interior.
- Valleys – Unless your building is a perfect rectangle, your roof likely contains a few valleys where slopes meet.
- Chimneys – Your chimney represents one of the most significant penetrations in your roof. A penetration is any feature that requires holes in your roof. Generally, there are three types of flashing around a chimney. Special step flashing is used to direct water away from the chimney. Step flashing consists of smaller pieces of sheet metal that get shaped to fit snuggly on the roof and chimney sides. Multiple pieces of flashing get installed in overlapping “steps” to protect from chimney leaks.
- Dormers – Seams between the dormer roof and the roof are protected with sheet metal flashing like the kind used in valleys. Meanwhile, the seam between dormer walls and the roof gets sealed with step flashing, just like a chimney.
- Skylights – Skylights require a tight seal. Usually, a continuous piece of flashing runs along each side of the skylight.
Contact Us for Flashing Repair in Decatur IL
Popejoy Roofing contractors can keep your property protected from water damage with flashing repair in Decatur IL. Email us now to request a free estimate on flashing repair or chimney flashing services. We will respond within 1 to 2 business days when you request a free quote. Give us a call at 217-600-2464 for more information about our roof contractors or our services.